27.4.09

Part 2 in the desert, Azraq Jordan


I already miss the desert. Living in Amman is not quite like living in the desert. Maybe I haven't felt the summer heat yet.


The course was one of the best I have experienced although I wasn't quite in silence since I was the one communicating with the staff, checking the food, the rooms etc...

4 nights, 5 days in open space. you can always see the open sky and the horizon. I remember the first morning I woke up and saw the horizon looking all red. I thought I had missed the sunrise. Later on I could see the sun peaking it's way up. And the sunsets are out of this world. The whole nature celebrates it. The wind, the birds... and of course the water buffaloes.

The reserve guides were very skeptic at first: "How can you be silent. I'd go crazy" and "why are they all so sad, I thought this course was supposed to help." On the last day they were very moved by our silence and by our loving presence and wanted to do the course themselves.

The first Satsang was horrific, at least that was my opinion. No coordination, too much shouting, people talking, no one wanted to go into silence or maybe release that last breath of energy before the Silence. The next day I was afraid to go into the session! wondering what could happen, how worse can it get :-) until I did come in, everyone was singing and there was this comforting feeling of peace and serenity, energy and enthusiasm, love and gratefulness. We were actually a very special group. We had 2 amazing singers, 2 instruments and a wonderful cheerful crowd which made sure Satsang was not only a deep experience but fun and light.
There was Chaos yes, however from that chaos, some became more humble, some less stiff, and everyone got to really enjoy the silence.

The place was magical it was all ours. It is anyways, but we were only a few 26 people along with the amazing staff to enjoy it.

We ate and slept at Azraq lodge, and the sessions took place at a beautiful hall in the reserve. Everything there is made from natural material, raw and simple but very comfortable and just enough to enjoy nature without too much spoiling, although the rooms were spectacular with a spectacular view.

Amazing walks in silence in the middle of tall yellow mazes under blue skies and water around us. The birds were in ecstasy and the buffaloes, well, roaming around eating grass and... dumping... :)

As for the food, exquisite Caucasian delicacies made with love by "Om Raad" the lodge chef.
I particularly loved the "Mantish", a steamed dumpling stuffed with vegetable and seasoned with yogourt sauce.

Participants loved the place and got so inspired that they went out and started a cleansing drive around town.


Our dear teacher Irena was just amazing! She was a living example of surrender and love, wisdom and playfulness. The course couldn't be more perfect!

The rest of the course details, I leave for you to experience...

There's something magical about the desert. Not sure what. The open space, the dryness of the air, it's amazing how life just sprouts everywhere. There is always life where we don't see it. Life is so abundant even in still rocks and sand... Life never deserts us, the desert is full of it.

1 comment: